Promotion of Access to Information (PAIA) & Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA)
Privacy at Holt Consulting Engineers
The responsible use of personal information is not negotiable at Holt Consulting Engineers. Privacy laws in many countries in which Holt Consulting Engineers operates, require that the Group:
· safeguards personal information;
· uses personal information appropriately; and
· retains such only where necessary and only transfers personal information under limited circumstances.
The Holt Consulting Engineers Group fully respects privacy laws and is subject to an internal framework of privacy rules, as set out in its Privacy Standard.
PAIA (Promotion of Access to Information Act)
PAIA is structured to allow for the application of section 32 of the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa. The purpose of this legislation is to promote transparency, accountability and governance both in the private and public sectors
· Holt Consulting Engineers’ PAIA Manual is available on request.
POPI Act (Protection of personal information)
POPI is structured to protect personal information from being:
· causing inconvenience;
· damage; and
· loss or fraud related to the resale and use of that information.
POPI impacts on any personal information that is being gathered by companies. It clearly outlines:
· the manner in which information should be stored;
· what care should be taken in dealing with that information;
· when that information has to be purged; and
· allows for no deviation from these rules.
The purpose of the POPI act is to protect personal information, to strike a balance between the right to privacy and the need for the free flow of, and access to information, and to regulate how personal information is processed.
HOW TO REQUEST ACCESS TO RECORDS HELD BY THE HOLT CONSULTING ENGINEERS GROUP
Requests for access to records held by the Holt Consulting Engineers Group must be made on the request forms that are available from the SAHRC website (www.sahrc.org.za) or the Department of Justice and Constitutional Development (www.doj.gov.za) (under “regulations”).
For the convenience of requestors:
· Please note that requestors are also required to make payment of the prescribed fees.
· Requests for access to records must be made to our Information Officer
· Designated Information Officer: Contact us for more information
Email address of Information Officer: Contact us for more information
Phone number: 011 791 2549
The requester must provide sufficient detail on the request form to enable the Information Officer to identify the record and the requester.
· If you are aware of the company within the Holt Consulting Engineers Group that holds the record/s you are requesting, please indicate this fact clearly.
· Where you are unsure of the company name, please indicate this and give as much detail as possible to facilitate our search for the record/s concerned.
· Please note that your failure to specify a company name will not invalidate your request, but it may cause unavoidable delays.
· The requester should also indicate which form of access is required and indicate if he or she wishes to be informed in any other manner and state the necessary particulars to be so informed.
· The requester must identify the right that he or she is seeking to exercise or protect and provide an explanation of why the requested record is required for the exercise or protection of that right.
If a request is made on behalf of a person, the requester must then submit proof of the capacity in which the requester is making the request to the satisfaction of the Holt Consulting Engineers Group Information Officer